Creating New Website Project for Social Networking in Asp.Net C#Step 1:Open VisualStudio
- Open Visual Studio 2010 or Visual studio 2008 or Visual Studio 2005 which ever version of visual studio you have.
- After Opening visual studio Click on File Menu and select New and then select website as shown below
Step 2:Select Your Website Location,.Net Framework,Programming Language
- After Clicking on Website option a New Website Box will open.
- In this Dialog box Select Your Appropriate Options.We have selected Asp.Net Empty Website
- Here we have selected .Net framework 4.0,Visual csharp,Website Location as E drive.You can change website location by clicking on browse button
- After Selecting all options click on OK
Step 3:Empty Project with web.config File
- Now you have created an empty project with all those options as mentioned in above steps.if you check the solution explorer then you will find that it is an empty project with only a webconfig file
- If Solution Explorer is not visible to you then you can make it visible by going to View Menu and then selecting Solution Explorer.
- You can also make it visible by using the shortcut key Clt+Alt+L.It will look as shown in the below screen shot
Step 4:Database Connectivity File and Alert User File Creation
- In this step we will be creating two common files Database.cs and Alert.cs
- Database.cs is a common file that is used to interact with database for insert update deleting and selecting records
- So right click on Project Name and select Add New Item.
- Add New Item will open a dialog box from where we can select what we have to add.Here we have to select C# class files and name it as Database.cs as shown below
- After Clicking on Add Button it will prompt you with a window with a message shown below.It means that do we want to place newly created .cs file in AppCode Folder or Not
- Clicking on Yes Option will create a AppCode Folder with Database.cs File.
- Similarly create another file Alert.cs following the same steps.Finally we have AppCodeFolder Folder with two Files Database.cs and Alert.cs Class files
Step 5:Make Controls Folder and images Folder
- Right Click on Project Name and Add New Folder.Make two folders one as Controls and other as images
- So right click on Controls Folder and select Add New Item.
- From the Add New Item Dialog box select add user controls and a single Image Handler
- Finally Inside you should have this many User controls and One ImageHandler as shown below
Step 6:Adding Master Pages HomeMaster and Profile Master
- Now right click on Project Name and select Add New Item and Add two Master Pages Name One as HomeMaster.master and other as ProfileMaster.master
- While Adding Master pages there are two check boxes at bottom right.Select Place Code in Different File and Unselect Select Master pages.By default you will have this two options
- Now we have two master pages HomeMaster.master and ProfileMaster.master
Step 7:Adding Child Pages Under HomeMaster.master masterpage
Now right click on Project Name and select Add New Item and Add Default.aspx page and select the master page as HomeMaster.master
Step 8:Adding Child Pages Under ProfileMaster.master masterpage
Now right click on Project Name and select Add New Item and Add Main.aspx page,Search.aspx page and Friends.aspx page and AboutMe.aspx page and select the master page as ProfileMaster.master
Step9:Add Webservice for AutoComplete Extender and Search Suggestions
Now right click on Project Name and select Add New Item and then it will add a web service on root level and its .cs file in appcode folder
Step10:Final Folder Structure for Social networking website
Finally After adding all the pages and making an emtpy project with all images you are ready to go.
You should also install Ajax Control toolkit which will add AjaxControlToolKit.dll reference in your bin folder